Sunday, August 28, 2005

Mud Surfing in King Cove, AK.

Today was a Blast! We took off on the 4 wheelers and went over to Belkoftski Bay. It was the muddiest mess I have ever been in. Every 100 ft. was a mud bog from hell. Lars was stuck in everyother mud hole. Thank goodness our neighbor Paul had a winch. I had to be pulled out 3 times. I wouldn't have got stuck if I didn't have Trace on with me. You have to haul ass and ride standing up to maneveur across the mess. Lars had 30 ft. roosters flying behind him, whoever was behind him was wishing they weren't that close. By the time we got to the shore line all you could see of Lars was a huge black man. He took off his glasses and then you could tell how deep the slude on him was. We began the ride with 5 4-wheelers. The Post Master, she lives 2 houses up from us. Paul and Marlene, She is the School secretary and they live 3 houses down form us. Pauls sister Jane and her daughter Zena. Connie, a good friend of Marleen's. Ok, so we got to the shore line and ate some snacks while Trace and Zena collected Dungenous Crabs on the beach. About 1/2 went by and here came 15 more 4-wheelers. Some with 2 people on them. I have never seen that many people all on 4-wheelers that knew eachother. Well Annette the History teacher and her family showed up right after the 15. so know we have a group of 25. We rode down to the waterfalls that fall right into the ocean. You have to ride through it. We got off and checked in the rocks for starfish, but only saw some huge bear tracks. They measured 12 inches wide and 14 long. Yea we got the hell out of there! We headed back which was just as much fun as the trip there. You could here me laughing everytime I got stuck. I felt bad to slow everyone down, but no one really cared. They were enjoying watching Lars fly through the mud in a frantic zig zag to stay on top of the mud. Well we got to a spot that we had to go one by one until you got all the way across. It was my turn and all the sudden everyone started pointing and laughing at something behind me. So I stopped and looked and there lay Lars on sprawled out on his back in front of his wheeler. All you could hear was that little Lars giggle. He finally stood up and everyone began to clap and yell, He's up and he's ok! Trace was begining to think that we were never going to get home. HE thought we were going to die in the black mud! So did I until we finally hit the main road! We will all be soar tomorrow, but I will never forget the good time that we had. On our way home we saw a dead grizzly bear. They said that there was a wounded bear and that it was probably the same one and it finally died. They wanted to go and get some claws off it or some teeth, But it stunk so bad that you couldn't get within 100 ft. of it. When we got home we ate tacos and sprayed everything off. Including Lars! I woke up in the night and couldn't see out of one eye. I went to the mirror and my right eye was swollen shut. I must have got bitten while we were mud surfing. I was covered in mud, how would I know! Tomorrow Lars starts all the inservice and computer training. School starts next week and I substitute for the History teacher on Friday. My first time being a Sub! Ya Hoo!

No comments: