Tuesday, June 01, 2010

I'm baaack!

Ya, I know it has been quite awhile, but hey I'm here not aren't I?
Actually I am in Sitka, AK for the summer for training for my new position as Behavioral Health Technician which I will take back with me to Yakutat and implement into the school.
I will shadow those children that use our services, which are confidential, and work with them to utilize learned skills to be a productive citizen. I am in the begining stages of the program so I may have a different definition when I get done with training. :)
So, I live in a little 2 bedroom apt. in a 4 plex. the downstairs is joined and is the Family Center. Upstairs in one apt. is our offices, and the other apt. is mine. I do share it with another gal that comes in 1 a month then she is back out in the field, so I am living alone.
I have some great co-workers that love to hike and enjoy the out doors.
We are getting ready to hike Mnt. Edgecomb, a dormant volcano next weekend. We will be hiking small trails in the evening to prepare ourselves. I am sooo excited. And yes I will post pictures.
Andrew and Trace are back in Yakutat catching tons of Halibut and are putting the net backin the water now that the Sockeye are running. I am bummed that I won't be there. Yesterday Trace said the he was tired, they brought in 4 Halibut and a 200 pound Halibut followed up the one he caught and tried to swallow the weight! Yea, it took off with the wieght and along with the hooked Halibut so Andy took the pole and fought it back to the surface an hour later and the 200 pounder was gone thank goodness!
The boys will be coming in on the Ferry for my birthday in July. We will get to celebrate the 4th in Sitka this year. I can't wait for them to get here, I miss them like crazy!
Saije graduated in May! She is in Fairbanks for the summer. She applied for RAHI, Rural Alaska Honors Institute which is a science program at the University of Alaska Fairbanks. She is staying in the dorms, which gives her a taste of how housing will work next year when she attends the University of Alaska Southeast in Juneau, AK. She is taking two classes in Molecular Biology and leave with 9 credits toward her college degree. They also provide activities like waterskiing, hiking, kyaking along with dances and BBQ's. I spoke with her after her 1 week and she is having fun and getting alot of support with her studies.
The most recent news: Andy's oldest daughter Amanda is engaged! Yes, she is getting married some time in August. We are so excited for her! We don't know much about him, but hope to get to meet him soon.
I will try to keep you posted on my adventures in Sitka, Bye!

1 comment:

Heather said...

Welcome back! Have missed your adventures!