Sunday, June 20, 2010

Hiking Indian River Trail- Sitka, AK.

Happy Fathers Day to all you fabulous Fathers! This morning I woke up and headed out with the girls and hit the trail. What a nice hike. The trail ran along the Indian River then back and forth across a few times on huge trees made into bridges. Way Cool! We came across a nice 5 foot deep water hole with a rope swing hanging from a tree. This brings back a funny memory; I took the 5 girls when they were around the ages of 11 to 15 to the water hole at the bottom of Provo canyon. We had hiked up Bridal Veil Falls and decided to go try the rope swing across the freeway. Elyse and Amanda went together and Elyse lost hold and down she went! When she hit the water all you could hear was her screaming obscenities and dog paddling like crazy for the shore. Holy cow Elyse, I am so sorry that I laughed so hard, but it just couldn't be helped. I was there for you the whole way! Anyway......so the gals and I decided that we need to come back in the afternoon and try it after we have hiked our butts off and need to cool off, so maybe next time. I will definitely bring Lars and Trace, they will love it!
With all of this new exercise that I have been getting we started talking about building our core muscles. I was telling them how Neisha started hula-hooping, one gal said that she wanted to try Belly-dancing, another said that she wanted to get into pole dancing! Yes you heard me right, Pole Dancing! I just about peed my pants. She claims it builds the core muscles too..... can you imagine what her husband is going to say when he comes home and there's a pole installed in their bedroom? I told her she better go see her Dr. and get on Birth Control!
One our way back I was telling the gals that I had attended that Tlingit beach gathering and learned that the Skunk Cabbage is used to cook fish. So we gathered some cabbage and were hiking out when we were approached by two ladies. They turned up their noses at us and asked "What are you doing with Skunk Cabbage?" I turned around and said we are taking it home so we can roll it up and smoke it! No way was I going to give this new learned secret away to just anyone! Suya Quasatine!

1 comment:

Florene or Lori said...

Ah, Cherie! I can see that you are in your element! Good for you! I think if I had to live like that, I would literally die! I can take camping and hiking for only so long and then -- get me back to the city! Spoiled, huh? Love reading about your experiences. It's really cool. I think my husband would like Sitka.