Thursday, October 02, 2008

Moose hunting on Esker Creek- Day 1











Day 1 - Oct.2, 2008 6:00pm: We headed to the airport and checked in with our pilot Hans (yes CJ, Hans) at Yakutat Costal Airlines. We loaded our 2 backpacks ( I am begining to like the backpack idea) 3 guns, 1 fishing pole and provisons. We headed North toward Esker Creek in to Disenchantment Bay which is up against the magestic St. Elias. We flew over many small islands, Khantaak & Johnstone passage and a huge stretch of water. Hans circled around the area to give us a look at where we were hunting and the where abouts of the cabin. No wildlife in sight. We landed 13 min. later on the beach. A smoothe ride and landing. We got our gear and Hans took off. We trudged up the beach and came across some huge wolf tracks. (great,! not just bears but wolf too) We came to the creek Lars went first, Andy turned around expecting me to be right behind, but I was froze stiff! All I could do was think about the wolf, the bear, and now the swift water that was up to his backpack. He tells me to come on and relized that I am not going anywhere. He unloads his gear and wades back to get me and relieve me of some gear. (ya, I was freakin out) We hiked up a small hill which felt like Mt. St. Helens with my pack on. The grass was up around my waist. Anything could be laying down in it waiting to eat me. So, I have my gun loaded and on safety when Andy steps on a twig and I go into kill mode thinking something is attacking us. Andy turns to find me with this crazy look in my eye and a loaded gun in my hand. All he could do is calmly ask, Is the safety on? Then we crossed a smaller creek & went up a trail while I was yelling hello bears, we are here! I thought Andy was going to shoot me. We came into a clearing and found our cabin. I was so happy to have arrived alive. I thought for sure that we were bear treats. We never saw any wildlife. Whew! We opened up the cabin door to find it quite nice. 2 bunkbeds, a propane furnace, & a kitchen table with propane stoves. Sweet! I was ready to stay there and let Lars do the hunting! We unpacked, got the furnace going and heated up some water for cup-o-noodles. There were many provisions already there, so our uneeded provision will be staying here also. I didn't relize how cold it was until I found me scooting my chair closer to the fire. At 9:00pm we hit the sack!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

sounds scary! fun!

fredbear said...

I will be up there with my knapsack on my back as soon as freakin possible.

ty

Florene or Lori said...

Brrr! That is much too cold for these old bones to have to live with. Oh, by the way, where exactly do you live? I guess I am going to have to get out an Alaska map and track you guys. Did you say it was near Homer? That's really far north, isn't it? Like I said, I need to get out a map!

Love you, Aunt Flo

Applesauce Joce said...

Awe man! I can't wait to see you guys!