Sunday, October 05, 2008

Esker Stream, Day 4




I finally got to sleep in! We hung around and read for a while and packed up. There was a cabin log that asks all visitors to sign, date and the reason for visiting. I added our names and read the whole book. When I came upon the Date Sept. 27 to 30, 2208! Hunter's were there 2 days before we were. No wonder why we didn't see anything!!! They took home a moose and 2 bears! Well so much for bringing home a Moose! We left the cozy little cabin to drop off our gear on the beach. When we began our hike it started to rain and rain and rain. I took cover in the deep grass beneath a small willow (not much cover) and Lars tried to fish. The wind picked up so he took cover beside me and before long he knew that I was going to kill him if he didn't take me back to the cabin. So, we left our gear on the beach and headed back to the cabin until we heard the plane coming. Our ride back to Yakutat was crazy! The pilot Hans said, that they had been waiting for clearance for take off to come retrieve us, but the weather was bad. At the last min. there was a break in the weather. (we would have been stuck there for a week!) Our hunt was not successful but our date was long overdue, I am glad that we came even though there were no moose. Maybe next time and preferably in September!

2 comments:

Gordon's Blog said...

Sounds like an adventure for sure. I enjoy reading your updates and new experiences in Alaska. Keep them coming.

Unknown said...

sounds cold dang.. hopefully I can get these desert bones used to it this christmas