Friday, October 03, 2008

Esker Stream, Day 2







It poured long and hard all night. Like an alarm clock, 6:30 am the rain stopped. We heated up some water, had oatmeal and coffee and began our trek to locate a Moose. As we made our way down the trail the rain picked back up. It's a good thing that we brought our waders, that was the only thing we wore. We headed south along the beach to the next drainage & then headed west. We came across alot of moose and bear sign, but no animals. We walked a 2 mile radius back to the beach. On our way back to the creek, I layed on a beached Iceberg and iced my soar back. I picked up one that fit in my backpack to use later on. 12:30 pm We ate some lunch, grabbed the poles and headed down to fish. The water was pretty muddy, but the fish were there. Andy caught a Coho that we couldn't eat. Went back to the cabin, geared up and headed north along the beach. We zigzagged west along Cabin Creek and came up empty handed. As we were hicking I thought we were hearing distant gun shots, but found out that it was ice breaking off the glacier up against St. Elias in Disenchantment Bay. On our way back we saw an iceberg that looked like the Lockness Monster. We followed tracks along the beach of a small bear. But lost the trail as it went back into the forest. My feet were officially killing me! Lars rescued me by letting me rest and carring my gun. (walking in waders for 2 days is not recommended) We arrived back at the cabin at 5:00pm. I heated up some stew & dried off by the fire. Lars took off and checked out a trail that headed west from the cabin for our hunt in the morning. When he came back we ate and I iced my back and hit the sack.

No comments: